Ode to the Mushroom Joystick


I have known you for the past ten years
when I was nine years old
i had this blue wheelchair
it came with a mushroom handle
on my joystick

I don’t know if there's a name for it
but it always reminded me of a mushroom
small, round and looks like a tree
I loved it so much. My hand
fit its shape like a glove
I didn’t want to let go
it was so perfect
so elegant
it felt like coming home
to a loved one
every time
I held you
my grip had to be
firmer and tighter
to protect me and you

Your texture is rough
but when I touch you
it feels soft like my favourite blue blanket

You followed me along to see
all of my big moments;
when I left elementary school
when I began high school
You were there to hold
all the hair ties I lost
but found
you were there
when my best friend
gave me a bracelet
for the first time, I put it on you
I can never drive and wear bracelets
It is why I never wear jewelry

you were there
on my first day of college  
proving that if my
first semester wasn’t a great fit
you will always be
and the day it broke in half

I was laughing so hard
with my classmates
I never noticed
how calm I felt
when you were whole

so did my heart.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A neverending story

What do I know?

Secrets (part 1)